photo courtesy of Barry Rodriguez

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Update

The other day I received an email from Oksana, my dear friend in Ukraine who is the director of disability services at Mission to Ukraine. She is seeking my help for their two-week summer camp for their kiddos with disabilities in July. I am hoping that I am able to go, but am waiting for approval from the Mission to Ukraine board. Every year my employer, Dave Helmer, sends a team of Americans to Ukraine in order to help with the camps. It is my hope that I can train his team in working with children with disabilities prior to the camp, then help with the programming of the camp sessions as well. I am also hoping that I can meet with the disability team to discuss the program that I hope to launch in September.


Oksana also shared some heartbreaking news in her email. She mentioned that they have discovered that some of the boys at Romaniv are being aggressive and abusive. They do not have all the details, but it seems that the older boys often prey upon the younger, more vulnerable boys. It's a constant reminder of how desperate and damaged these boys are. I am thinking of putting together a lesson about appropriate social boundaries to teach to the boys. Hopefully this will address the issue and help to put an end to the problem. Please pray for these boys and for the MTU team.

No comments: