photo courtesy of Barry Rodriguez

Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Favorite Day

"What day is it?"

"It's today," squeaked Piglet.

"My favorite day," said Pooh.
A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh


I have found lately that it is quite difficult explaining to people why I love my job so much.  Most people that I come across are unable to relate to what I do.  "Isn't it difficult always being on the road?", they ask.  "Don't you get depressed with the things you are seeing?" Of course, every job has its ups and downs, its perks and drawbacks.  Yes, it is difficult being away from home for long periods of time and the travel can be altogether draining.  And yes, a majority of the stories I hear every day are often drenched in sorrow and injustice.
 

But in the midst of the hard days of travel and the weary fight to restore hope for people with disabilities in Ukraine and around the world - some of my favorite days are the ones when I first return to Romaniv.




Sometimes I struggle to explain to others the electrifying jolt that comes over me when I descend the steps of Romaniv.  Or the warmth in my heart when I shake the eager hands of the boys.  But even if my clumsy words fail to describe the rapturing experience that comes over me - I will always carry these favorite days in my heart.  And that's what gets me through the rest.


No comments: