photo courtesy of Barry Rodriguez

Friday, April 8, 2011

We All Have Reasons for Moving

The title of this blog was named after my favorite poem by Mark Strand: Keeping Things Whole. For me, it communicates the very fabric of my heart.

Keeping Things Whole
Mark Strand

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.

When thinking about the millions of people with intellectual disabilities who are marginalized around the world on a daily basis, I am filled with a sense of duty and devotion to impact their lives. With my background in occupational therapy and my personal experience with my brother, I see myself as a source of fuel for the fire of change. But I say this from a place in my heart that resonates with Strand's message of unrest and dissatisfaction. I have a reason for moving from place to place, from country to country, in order to help people. Just like Strand, my reason is to keep things whole. My work will never be done...not until people with intellectual disabilities, no matter how profound, are enjoying their lives to the fullest extent in the smallest and darkest corners of the world.

I must move to keep things whole.

No comments: